Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Canton Township Carnegie Library

Picture of property 300 North Main
Canton (McPherson County)
Listed in National Register Jun 25, 1987

Architect: Washburn and Stookey
Category: library
Thematic Nomination: Carnegie Libraries of Kansas

With the assistance of a $6,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation Library Building Program, the Canton Township Carnegie Library was completed in 1921. It was one of 63 Carnegie-funded libraries built in Kansas during the first three decades of the 20th century. This building was designed by architects George P. Washburn and his son-in-law Roy Stookey, and exhibits a utilitarian character with some Prairie-style details. It was nominated as part of the "Carnegie Libraries of Kansas" multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of education and architecture.



New Search