Jump to Navigation

As Published - August 1935

(Vol. 4, No. 3), pages 317-332
Transcribed by lhn; additional HTML by Susan Stafford;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.

Marshall County history is recalled in Grant Ewing's column, "Notes by the Wayside," appearing from time to time in the Marshall County News, of Marysville. Part of these "Notes," as previously mentioned here, have also been published in the Barnes Chief.

"Do You Know Your City," is the title of a column appearing weekly in the Herington Times-Sun. The column, which features biographical sketches of local citizens and histories of the city's institutions, was started in the issue of August 2, 1934.

School records of Odin district, Cheyenne township, Barton county, covering part of the period from 1880 to 1895, were discussed in an article published in the Hoisington Dispatch November 22, 1934. Names of teachers and some of the pupils were listed.

A brief history of Wilson's school buildings was printed in the Wilson World December 12, 1934. Histories of the school band and graduating classes of Wilson High School were featured in the issue of December 19.

Some of Osborne county's sod houses were recalled by Mrs. J. A. Kyle in a two-column article published in the Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, December 27, 1934.

A Christmas dinner in 1878 in what is now Graham county was described in a letter from Abram T. Hall, Sr., of Philadelphia, Pa., appearing in the Hill City Times, December 27, 1934.

The winter, 1935, issue of The Aerend, of Fort Hays Kansas State College, included the following articles of interest to Kansas historians: "Tales From a Pioneer Justice Court [Hays and vicinity]," by F. B. Streeter; "History-Making Guns of the Prairies," by Jack Saunders; "Presbyterian Indian Missions in Kansas," by Harold McCleave, and "A Plain Tale of the Prairie [early Phillipsburg and Phillips county]," by Thelma Kelly.

T. H. McGill's recollections of Samuel D. LeCompte, first Kansas territorial supreme court justice, were published in The Russell County News, of Russell, January 3, 1935. Mr. McGill, who now lives at Scott City, also described the equipment of The Russell County Record when he was employed there as a printer in 1874.



A Ness county old settlers' reunion, an event scheduled at five year intervals, was held in Ness City June 11 and 12, 1935. The Ness County News, of Ness City, in order to provide a historical background for the gathering, regularly printed an old settlers' column starting with its issue of January 5. The column was sponsored by O. L. Lennen and Luke Pembleton. On June 8 the reunion edition was issued. Included among the contributors for this issue were: T. P. Levan, Frank Buckman, L. L. Scott and Mrs. Joseph Langellier.

Historical articles have occupied a prominent place on the front pages of the Washington County Register, of Washington, since January 11, 1935, when the present series was started. On July 12 the diamond jubilee edition was issued preceding the celebration held in Washington July 17 to 19, commemorating the founding of the county seventy-five years ago. Included in this and the succeeding week's issue were pioneer reminiscences and biographies, and the following articles: "Washington Mill History," "Proceedings of the First Town Company," "Churches With First Settlers," "Early Clifton a Busy Place," "Many Prominent Hanover Families Made History," "Rebuild After Storm of 1932," "Newspapers Active in This County," "First Paper Made History," "Barnes History," "Linn History," "Washington County School History," "Early History of Lowe Township," "Chepstow History," "Washington County History," "Bollard Falls," "First Post Office in Hanover," and "Strawberry Post Office and Store."

A letter from George Stanton discussing early elections in Cheyenne county was published in the St. Francis Herald January 24, 1935.

Some central Kansas pioneer teachers and Pennsylvania German settlements in Kansas were recalled by J. C. Ruppenthal in his column, "Rustlings," appearing in the Wilson World February 13, 1935, and other Kansas newspapers of the same week.

Sedgwick high-school history was reviewed by Lois Dunkelberger in the Sedgwick Pantagraph February 28, 1935.

Brief histories of a store building at Cleveland, recently razed, were printed in the Kingman Journal and The Leader-Courier in their issues of March 1, 1935. At the time the building was erected in 1879 the little town of Cleveland, located in the center of the county, had visions of becoming the county seat.


The history of Company 729, Civilian Conservation Corps, now located at Camp Bluff creek, Ashland, was contributed to The Clark County Clipper of March 14, 1935.

Kansas in the 1850's was recalled by Joseph W. Ackley in the Wichita Beacon March 18, 1935. Mr. Ackley came to Kansas with his parents in 1854 and settled on Salt creek near Leavenworth.

A letter dated September 13, 1861, at Fall creek, Leavenworth county, describing the drought of 1860, was printed in The Morton County Farmer, of Rolla, March 19, 1935. H. W. Worthington was the writer.

Barber county old settlers met in their third annual reunion at Medicine Lodge March 14, 1935. Names of persons registering at the event were published in The Barber County Index March 21.

The killing of ten Confederate prisoners of war at Palmyra, Mo., on October 18, 1862, was described by Leland Smith in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler March 21, 1935. Mrs. Anna Baker, a relative of two of the condemned prisoners, lives in Sedan.

A review of Pratt's history and brief historical notes on its library, churches, banks and other institutions were included in a thirty-four page edition of the Pratt Daily Tribune issued March 22, 1935.

Some of the names applied to Kansas' early counties were recalled in the Kingman Journal March 22, 1935.

Apparently credit for the authorship of "Home on the Range," President Franklin D. Roosevelt's favorite song, is still a matter of controversy. Samuel Moanfeldt, a New York attorney, after several months' research, believes that Dr. Brewster Higley of Smith county wrote the words in the early 1870's, and that Dan Kelly supplied the music. The story of Mr. Moanfeldt's search was told in the Smith County Pioneer, of Smith Center, in its issue of March 28, 1935. Dr. W. D. Kirby, in an article appearing in The County Capital, of St. John, April 4, advances another theory as to the origin of the song. He believes that John Trott, another Kansan, is the author and that it was written in the early 1880's.

Halstead's Mennonite Church celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of its founding March 24, 1935. Names of some of the older members of the church were recorded in the Halstead Independent March 29.

The biography of John W. Leedy, former governor of Kansas, who


died at Edmonton, province of Alberta, Canada, March 24, 1935, was sketched in the Le Roy Reporter March 29. "How Governor Leedy Returned Home Rule to Wichita," was discussed by David D. Leahy in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, March 31.

"When Kansas Voted to Become a Slave State 80 Years Ago Today," was the title of a two-column article published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times March 30, 1935. The election came as a climax to the race staged by Massachusetts and Missouri to see which could get more immigrants into the territory, the Tines reported, and the Proslaveryites won.

"Old Timer Recalls Disastrous Fire Wiping Out Fifty-six Buildings in Hays Forty Years Ago Today," was the title of a feature story appearing in the Hays Daily News March 30, 1935.

Sketches from Wichita's early history were published in a special section of the Wichita Sunday Eagle March 31, 1935, announcing the presentation of the pageant "Builders of Wichita," on April 1.

A two-column history of the Pony Express was printed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star in its issue of April 3, 1935-the seventy-fifth anniversary of the start of the first rider over the famous route from St. Joseph to California.

Gove county's courthouse was once a hotel the Gove County Republican- Gazette, of Gove City, recalled in an article reviewing the history of the building published in its issue of April 4, 1935. The county leased the building in 1886 and purchased it ten years later.

A series of articles by Harry Johnson on the early history of Richmond was printed in the Richmond Enterprise in its issues from April 4 to May 30, 1935.

Eudora history was sketched in the Eudora Weekly News April 4 and May 2, 1935. The city was incorporated under territorial laws on February 8, 1859.

The drought of the early 1890's was recalled in an article published in the Hays Daily News April 5, 1935. The story was reprinted from the January 26, 1895, issue of Harper's Weekly.

Early days of Hartland were described by Mrs. S. E. Madison in an interview with India H. Simmons appearing in the Dodge City Daily Globe in its issues of April 6 and 8, 1935.

The golden anniversary of Kiowa's founding was observed by the


Kiowa News-Review with the issuance of a sixty-eight page-tabloid size edition on April 8, 1935. Reminiscences of early-day settlers, and histories of the city's schools, churches and newspapers were published. Titles of some of the feature stories included: "The First Christmas Tree in This Part of the Country," "A. Gregory Came to New Border Town in 1884," "Happenings in 1902 as Given by J. M. Miller; a Rich Irishman," " `Uncle Bob' [R. J.] Talliaferro Came to Barber in 1873," "Minutes Give History of Kiowa Town Company," "Mrs. Bessie Norris Tells of Kiowa From '83 to '93," "T. A. McNeal Tells of `Dynamite Dave' Leahy," "The Early Years on the Prairies Were Hard," as related by M. S. Justis, "Mound Center Community One of First Settled in This Country," "Dave Leahy Writes of Early Days in Kiowa," "The `Last Roundup' of the Once Famous Comanche Pool," "Old Kiowa in History and Romance," by T. J. Dyer, "Sketches From the Life History of An Early Barber Settler [Jacob Achenbach]," and "Many Changes in Kiowa Since 1899, Says Mayor [Harry] Hill."

A series of articles written by John Parks, a newspaper correspondent following the Civil War, is appearing in the Lawrence Democrat under the heading "Some Early Kansas History." The publication was started April 11, 1935. Mr. Parks was the father of Mrs. A. L. Selig, of Lawrence, who supplied the letters to the Democrat for printing.

Liberal observed the fiftieth anniversary of its founding this spring. The anniversary edition of The Southwest Tribune was issued April 11, 1935, and that of the Liberal News appeared May 2. Special features in the News included a news chronology from 1886 to 1935, a list of Seward county officials from 1886, histories of the leading business houses, post office, courthouse, newspapers, and biographical sketches of the city's leading citizens. The News was first published April 22, 1886, at Fargo Springs.

Twenty-two names appeared on Sumner county's first census, the Wellington Daily News reported in its issue of April 1.1, 1.935. A photostatic copy of the census taken by Zinni Stubbs July 20, 1870, was recently obtained by Marie Sellers, regent of the Wellington chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It showed eighteen of the inhabitants were males. The original copies of this census are on file in Washington and in the Archives division of the Kansas Historical Society in Topeka.


Proposals introduced in the U. S. senate in the early 1890's by Sen. William A. Peffer, from Kansas, were discussed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times April 13, 1935, in an article entitled "Populists Had a `Share the Wealth' Plan Before Congress 40 Years Ago."

A request has been made to the Kansas State Planning Board to establish a state park in the vicinity of Independence Crossing or Alcove Springs to commemorate the place where the old Oregon and California trail crossed the Big Blue river, in Marshall county. The early history of the Springs was reviewed by Earl E. Strimple in the Topeka State Journal April 13, 1935. A history of Topeka's old Adams house, in later years known as the Baltimore hotel, was sketched by Dwight Thacher Harris as another feature of the edition.

David D. Leahy, one-time publisher of the Kiowa Herald, reminisced on early-day Kiowa in the Wichita Sunday Eagle April 14, 1935.

Legal hangings in Wichita's history were discussed by J. D. Dickerson in the Wichita Sunday Beacon April 14, 1935.

The seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of the First Christian Church of Olathe was observed April 14, 1935. The early history of the church as recalled by Mrs. George H. Hodges was published in the April 18 issue of The Johnson County Democrat, of Olathe.

Organization of Company K, Tenth Kansas state militia, in 1863 was discussed by Harry Johnson in the Garnett Review April 18, 1935.

The career of Ben Holladay, operator of the Overland stage, was reviewed by John G. Ellenbecker in the Marshall County News, of Marysville, April 19, 1935.

"Romance in Old Legend of Tribal Battle at Indian Hill at Chapman," was the title of an article contributed by Alma Frazier to the Abilene Daily Chronicle April 20, 1935. The story recalled the legend of the love of Eloa, daughter of a Padouca chieftain, for a member of her own tribe and described the reputed unsuccessful warfare waged by a Cheyenne chieftain to capture her in a battle between the Padouca and Cheyenne Indians many years ago.

A story of the life of Mother Rose Philippine Duchesne, who was a missionary among the Indians living in Missouri and present Kansas, was written by A. B. MacDonald for the Kansas City (Mo.)


Star April 21, 1935. The beatification of Mother Duchesne is nearing completion, and it is expected that she will be declared the first American saint. During 1841 and 1842 she was a missionary to the Pottawatomie Indians living on Sugar creek, in what is now Linn county, Kansas. Droughts and dust storms of other years were described in another feature story published in this issue of the Star.

Ottawa University observed the seventieth anniversary of the granting of its charter during the week starting April 21, 1935. Feature stories sketching the early history of the college were printed in the Ottawa Campus and Herald during the middle part of April.

The history of St. James Episcopal Church of Wichita was reviewed in the Wichita Sunday Eagle April 21, 1935. The church is celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of its founding. Dr. Otis E. Gray organized the parish.

Early attempts at landscaping the statehouse grounds, and Topeka's first Arbor day held on April 23, 1875, were discussed by Milton Tabor in the Topeka Daily Capital April 21, 1935. Several of the trees now adorning the statehouse grounds were planted at this first official Arbor Day observance.

"Olden Days at Georgetown Recalled in Closing Day Exercises Yesterday," the Pratt Daily Tribune reported in a half-page history of the school published in its issue of April 25, 1935. Georgetown School District No. 7, of Pratt county, was organized September 23, 1880.

Early Meade history was briefly reviewed by Frank Fuhr in the Meade Globe-News, of Meade, April 25, 1935. The original townsite of twenty-five blocks was surveyed during April, 1885.

The shooting of Charley Green by disgruntled cowboys and the resulting "Battle of Douglas Avenue," were related by Capt. Sam Jones, pioneer Wichitan, in an interview with Victor Murdock published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 25, 1935.

Notes on the early history of Burton county by P. J. Jennings, of Hoisington, appeared in the Great Bend Tribune April 27, 1935.

A facsimile of a recently discovered letter from President Lincoln to Gov. Thomas Carney, dated July 21, 1863, relative to Gen. James G. Blunts military conduct in Kansas, was printed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star April 28, 1935. Governor Carney had previously written the President asking that Major General Blunt's military authority be "absolutely suspended in the state." The President in


his reply stated that "the thing should not be hastily done," and promised that there would be more cooperation between the military and the civil authorities in the future. The half-page article published in the Star touches upon Carney's dissatisfaction with Blunt and throws additional light on General Blunt's own story of the war which appeared in The Kansas Historical Quarterly, in May, 1932.

The story of the founding of St. John's Junior College in West Wichita was sketched by David D. Leahy in the Wichita Sunday Eagle April 28, 1935.

Holton school history was briefly reviewed in The Holtonian April 29, 1935.

Some of the buildings at old Fort Larned now used as ranch buildings on the Frizell Fort Larned ranch were described by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 30, 1935, after a visit with E. E. Frizell, a pioneer ranchman of Pawnee county.

The Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Church in School District No. 47, Chase county, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding May 26, 1935. A brief history of the organization was published in the Chase County Leader, of Cottonwood Falls, May 1.

A history of the Bonner Springs Chieftain was printed in its issue of May 2, 1935. The Chieftain was founded as The Wyandotte Chieftain on April 30, 1896.

H. C. Benke, of Chicago, Ill., a resident of Barton county until the early 1890's, reminisced on pioneer life in a letter published in the Great Bend Tribune May 2, 1935.

Claflin high school celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary May 1, 1935. The history of the school was briefly reviewed in the Claflin Clarion and the Great Bend Tribune in their issues of May 2, 1935.

A brief history of the Milberger Lutheran Church, by the Rev. J. Gemaelich, was printed in the Russell Record May 2, 1935. The constitution of the church was adopted on April 26, 1885.

Early Dighton history was recalled by F. H. Lobdell, former Dighton editor, in a two-column article published in the Dighton Herald May 2, 1935.

A history of the Wathena Times, now entering its fifty-first year of publication, written by Dave Downs, was printed in the Times in its issue of May 2, 1935.


Names of former pastors were included in a brief history of the Lindsborg Evangelical Mission Church published in the Lindsborg News- Record May 2, 1935. The church celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of its founding May 4 to 7. Early Stanton county cattle brands were discussed in an article appearing in the Johnson Pioneer May 2, 1935. Gustave T. Gerbing registered the first brand with the county on November 8, 1888.

Interesting archaeological "discoveries" made by O. D. Sartin, of Cedarvale, in the old Osage country near Arkansas City, were described by Brian Coyne in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler May 2 and 3, 1935. Mr. Sartin claims to have located the remains of extensive breast parapets, flint workings where primitive ammunition was fashioned, caches of arrowheads, one of which yielded three gunny sacks full, charred and weather beaten fire pits, and numerous graves which he believes are centuries old. Most of the relics from this site are in the possession of Mr. Sartin who has located, in all, eighty-nine different Indian camps near Cedarvale.

Early Oswego and Labette county history was reviewed by Mrs. Sallie Shaffer, of Parsons, before a meeting of the Oswego Rotary Club, April 30, 1935. A summary of the talk was published in the Oswego Democrat and Independent in their issues of May 3, 1935. The settlement of Liebenthal by Russian emigrants was discussed in an article appearing in the Hays Daily News May 4, 1935. A history of Lincoln school in Wichita was briefly sketched in the Wichita Sunday Eagle May 5, 1935.

The history of Wheatland cemetery in Grasshopper township, Atchison county, was reviewed by Charles E. Belden, in the Horton Headlight May 6, 1935.

A two-column biography of Ben Holladay, proprietor of the Holladay Overland Stage Line, was published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times May 8, 1935.

Histories of the Wichita City Library were sketched in the Wichita Eagle May 8 and 12, 1935. Pictures accompanied the latter article, written by Mrs. Hortense Balderston Campbell, present reference librarian. The library was chartered February 3, 1876. A history of the Westmoreland Recorder was published in its issue of May 9, 1935. The newspaper was founded by J. W. Shiner on May 7, 1885.


Brief notes on the history of Kling, a "ghost" town of western Barber county, were printed in The Barber County Index, of Medicine Lodge, in its issue of May 9, 1935.

A history of the Mound City W. C. T. U. as written by Mrs. Lillie Hellard for its fiftieth anniversary meeting held at Mound City May 5, 1935, was published in the Mound City Republic May 9.

John Brown's life was briefly reviewed in an article appearing in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star May 9, 1935, on the 135th anniversary of his birth.

An experience of M. M. Winters with the Indians in the early 1870's in northwest Kansas when his partner was killed was recounted in the St. Francis Herald May 9, 1935.

Life in early Butler county was described by Mrs. Alvah Shelden for the Douglass Tribune in its issues of May 10 and 17, 1935. Mrs. Shelden came to the county from Ohio in 1869.

The opening of the Peru, Chautauqua county, oil pool by William Geyser over thirty years ago was reviewed by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle May 11, 1935.

Experiences in early-day Manhattan and elsewhere were recalled by Mrs. Annie Pillsbury Young for the Manhattan Mercury May 11, 1935. Mrs. Young is a former Manhattan postmistress.

The pioneer reminiscences of Mrs. J. C. McConnell, of Turner, were recorded in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star May 12, 1935.

Early Humboldt school history was reviewed by John C. Hamm in a letter published in the Humboldt Union May 16, 1935.

City waterworks in northwestern Kansas in the early days were discussed in a story appearing in The Sherman County Herald, of Goodland, May 16, 1935. Bird City was the first town in the Sherman county vicinity to establish a system, the article reported.

A two-column history of Economy School District No. 68, of Butler county, was written by Mrs. Mabel Bolin for the Leon News May 17, 1935. A more detailed story of Economy which included Mrs. Bolin's sketch as published in the News was contributed by George F. Fullinwider to the El Dorado Times of the same date.

The early history of Wabaunsee was briefly reviewed in an article printed in the Eskridge Independent May 23, 1935. The story was a reprint of a recent editorial appearing in the New York Sun.


Greensburg's First Methodist Episcopal Church observed the fiftieth anniversary of its founding with special services held from May 22 to 26., 1935. A history of the church written by Blanche Lea was published in the Greensburg News and The Progressive Signal, in their May 23 issues. Letters from former pastors, and their pictures also, were featured in the News.

The history of the Cornforth Woman's Relief Corps of Clyde was reviewed in the Clyde Republican May 23, 1935. The auxiliary was organized May 22, 1885.

Notes on the history of Leona and its First Congregational Church, as compiled by Clarence Royer, were published in the Hiawatha Daily World May 23, 1935. The Highland Vidette of the same date also printed a history of the church which was formally organized in May, 1885.

The fiftieth anniversary of the Ashland Methodist Episcopal Church was observed with a month of special services held during May, 1935. A history of the church, which was organized in March, 1885, was sketched in The Clark County Clipper, of Ashland May 23.

Notes on the history of Clay county, as compiled by E. G. Gunter from a perusal of the county commissioners' journal beginning with the organization of the county in 1866, are being published from time to time in the Clay Center Dispatch. The series commenced with the issue of May 23, 1935.

A history of Little Walnut chapter, No. 362, Order of the Eastern Star, of Leon, was sketched in the Leon News May 24, 1935. The chapter was organized on February 13, 1913.

The history of the First Baptist Church of Wichita was briefly reviewed in the Wichita Beacon May 25, 1935. The church was organized on May 26, 1872.

Harry Landis, a veteran of the "Legislative War of 1893," was interviewed by David D. Leahy for the Wichita Sunday Eagle May 26, 1935.

Fort Zarah history was briefly sketched in an illustrated article published in the Great Bend Tribune May 28, 1935.

Names of alumni of Winona Consolidated High School from 1915 were listed in the Logan County News, of Winona, May 30, 1935.

The history of the Garnett Review was reviewed in its seventieth


anniversary edition issued May 30, 1935. The Review is a continuation of several newspapers. The Plaindealer, founded in 1865, by I. E. Olney, was the first.

A letter from Walter L. Holcomb, of Kendallville, Ind., relating some of his early-day experiences in Butler county, was published in the Douglass Tribune May 31, 1935. Mr. Holcomb arrived in the county in 1873.

"Three Floods in Wichita Which Occupy a Place in the Town's History" was the title of an article by Victor Murdock printed in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle May 31, 1935. The floods cited by Mr. Murdock occurred in 1877, 1904 and 1923.

Biographical sketches of persons prominent in Kansas affairs have been published in a feature column entitled "Kansas Personalities," which has been supplied daily by the Associated Press to its member newspapers. The series was started during the latter part of May, 1935.

"Tom Smith-Marshal of Abilene, Kansas," was the title of an article contributed by E. A. Brininstool to the Pony Express Courier, of Placerville, Cal., in its June, 1935, issue. Mr. Smith served as marshal of Abilene from May to November, 1870, when he was killed.

Burlingame's First Presbyterian Church observed the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding June 9, 1935. Histories of the organization were published in the Topeka State Journal June 1, and The Enterprise-Chronicle, of Burlingame, June 6.

Old Sacramento, a cannon now resting in the Watson library at the University of Kansas at Lawrence, fired the first shots both for and against slavery in the United States, the Kansas City Times reported in an article printed in its issue of June 3, 1935. The historic cannon was captured from the Mexicans by Col. Alexander Doniphan in the Mexican War, and later it saw service in the Proslavery and Free-state bands operating in Kansas territory in the latter 1850's.

Augusta Christian Church history was reviewed in a special Christian Endeavor section issued by the Augusta Daily Gazette June 5, 1935.

Histories of the Hope Methodist Church, which celebrated its fiftieth anniversary June 2, 1935, and St. Philip's Catholic Mission,


which observed the twenty-fifth anniversary of the building of the present church edifice June 4, were published in the Hope Dispatch June 6.

Sutphen residents were hosts to the regular spring meeting of the Dickinson County Historical Society June 5, 1935. Historical sketches of early-day mills at Sutphen, Chapman, Industry and Enterprise were presented at the meeting and were reviewed briefly in the Chapman Advertiser June 6.

Excerpts from the diary of Mark Titsworth, detailing his experiences in Wichita in June, 1872, were printed by Victor Murdock in a front-page feature article appearing in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle June 6, 1935.

Brief biographical sketches of several favored sons and daughters of Kansas, nearly all of whom are identified with the newspaper history of the state, were featured in the Kansas State Editorial Association edition of the Atchison Daily Globe issued June 6, 1935, preceding the convention held June 7 and 8. Persons written up include: Amelia Earhart Putnam, J. E. Rank, A. W. Robinson, L. L. Robinson, L. L. Robinson, Jr., John A. Martin, Eugene Abbott, Gomer T. Davies, Mrs. J. C. Mack, Robert B. Reed, J. Byron Cain, Harold A. Hammond, Bertha Shore, E. W. Howe, Ferd. L. Vandegrift and H. C. Sticker. The history of Atchison's newspapers was also briefly reviewed in the edition.

The organization of the Arkansas City Town Company on June 7, 1870, and other significant dates in the city's history were discussed in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler June 6, 1935.

Letters from former residents of Sedgwick were featured in the Sedgwick Pantagraph starting with the issue of June 6, 1935. Earl Leedy, the editor, hoped to have a "reunion" of old timers of Sedgwick and vicinity in his newspaper in this manner.

Oskaloosa and Jefferson county history is being reviewed in detail in a series of special historical articles appearing in the Oskaloosa Independent, commencing June 6, 1935. On July 11 the Independent completed its seventy-fifth year in Oskaloosa and celebrated the occasion with the issuance of a historical edition describing the city and newspaper as they were in 1860 and as they are now. J. W. Roberts, the managing editor, wrote that much of the historical material published in the Independent at this time may be republished in pamphlet form.


A twenty-page special historical edition was issued by the Hazelton Herald for the ninth annual old settlers' homecoming held at Hazelton June 7, 1935.

L. N. Blood, of Winfield, first teacher in Augusta's school system, described his early teaching experiences in a letter published in the Augusta Daily Gazette June 7, 1935. The first school in Augusta was taught in the fall and winter of 1869, Mr. Blood related.

An entry in the diary of Mineus Ives, Kansas pioneer, records August 9, 1875, as the date of the killing of the last buffalo in Sedgwick county, Victor Murdock reported in an article appearing in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle June 8, 1935.

Chanute's railroad history was reviewed by F. E. Armstrong, Don Rankin and Roy Chapple in a series of articles published in the Chanute Tribune as a "Railroad Week" feature, starting in the issue of June 10, 1935.

The history of the Wathena Baptist Church was briefly sketched in the Wathena Times June 13, 1935. The church was organized seventy-seven years ago.

Mrs. Etta Scott Hatch reminisced on life in early Jewell county in an article published in the Burr Oak Herald June 13, 1935. Other short historical articles have appeared from time to time in the Herald in recent months.

Osawatomie's railroad history was sketched by Mrs. Anna L. January in the Osawatomie Graphic-News June 13, 1935.

The fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of the Friends church at Haviland was observed June 16, 1935. Historical notes on the founding were published in the Haviland Review in its issues of June 13 and 20, 1935.

The address reviewing the history of the Oregon trail given by John G. Ellenbecker at the dedication of an Oregon trail marker at Bremen June 9, 1935, was printed in The Advocate-Democrat, of Marysville, June 13 and 20, and in the Marshall County News in its issues of June 14 to July 5, inclusive. R. V. Tye's address on early Washington county given at the same event. was published in The Advocate-Democrat June 13.

Reminiscences of life in the early years of Kansas statehood were related by Mrs. Alice M. Dow, of Lawrence, to Mrs. Pearl Richardson for publication in the Pratt, Daily Tribune June 14, 1935. Mrs. Dow came to Kansas in 1860.


The Oakley Graphic resumed publication of Clarence Mershon's "History of Oakley," in its issue of June 14, 1935. The previous series was started in the issue of June 29, 1934.

A brief history of the Sunday school of St. Mark's Lutheran Church of Emporia was printed in the Emporia Gazette June 14, 1935. The school was founded July 14, 1885, with the Rev. F. D. Altman as superintendent.

The activities of Chief Hopoeithleyohola, a Creek Indian, were reviewed by T. F. Morrison of Chanute in the Le Roy Reporter June 14, 1935. Chief Hopoeithleyohola was loyal to the Union during the War of the Rebellion. He is buried in Woodson county.

St. John's Lutheran Church at Lanham observed its fiftieth anniversary at special services held June 16, 1935. The history of the church was briefly sketched in the Hanover Democrat June 14.

Pioneer reminiscences of Mrs. E. A. Eaton, of Arkansas City, and Mrs. D. F. Feagins, of Oklahoma City, who settled in Cowley county with their parents in August, 1871, were recorded by Helen Woodman in an article printed in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler June 17, 1935.

The second annual dinner party given by the Pratt County Council of Clubs for residents of Pratt county who were seventy-five years of age or older was held June 17, 1935. Names of the guests were published in the Pratt Daily Tribune June 18, and the Pratt Union June 20. "Railroads Brought Several Men to Pratt Who Later Branched Out Into Businesses of Own," was the title of a "Railroad Week" feature article by Mrs. Pearl Richardson printed in the Tribune June 18.

Augusta's motion picture industry's history was briefly sketched in the Augusta Daily Gazette June 19, 1935, on the occasion of the opening of a new theater in the city.

The origin of some of Manhattan's street names was discussed by Mrs. Florence Fox Harrop in an article published in the Manhattan Mercury June 22, 1935.

A competitive war dance between Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians staged in Wichita at the corner of Main and Douglas in 1876 was described by Waitmon White, pioneer, to Victor Murdock, who featured the interview in his front-page article published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle June 22, 1935.

The loss of the engagement at Byram's ford, on the Blue river,


was a serious blow to the Confederates during Gen. Sterling Price's raid on Missouri and Kansas in October, 1864, the Kansas City Times reported in its issue of June 22, 1935. The site of this ford has never been marked and is now a controversial matter.

A history of the Santa Fe trail as sketched by the late Viola Allen McCullough in 1904 as a tribute to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Co., appeared in the Topeka State Journal June 22, 1935. O. C. Jones, a Wathena merchant, told of a ride on a flat car on the old St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad in Doniphan county in 1860 in the same issue.

Wichita school history was briefly reviewed by Muriel E. Schaefer in the Wichita Sunday Eagle June 23, 1935.

The Horton Presbyterian Church celebrated the tenth anniversary of the dedication of the present church building in special services held on June 23, 1935. The history of the organization as related in a sermon given by the Rev. G. W. Nelson, pastor, was published in The Tri-County News, of Horton, June 24, 1935.

Marshal Thomas J. Smith's career as Abilene's peace officer in the early 1870's was discussed in an article appearing in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star June 25, 1935. Marshal Smith established a rule that firearms were not to be carried openly in the town-and enforced it, the Star related.

Reminiscences of early-day Barton county by Will E. Stoke, former Great Bend newspaper publisher, were printed in the Great Bend Tribune June 26, 1935.

J. H. Downing, editor of the old Hays City Star, "scooped" the world on the news of the Custer disaster, the Hays Daily News reported in its issue of June 26, 1935. The Star, due to the editor's friendship with a telegraph operator at Fort Wallace, carried the news the evening of July 6, 1876, while other papers did not publish it until the following morning.

A series of descriptive articles on cross-state highways in Kansas was prepared by George Mack of the Kansas State Highway Department for publication in the newspapers of the state during the summer of 1935. Points of historic interest along the routes were noted in the articles. The series was started June 26.

Names of business houses operating on Main street in Chanute in 1910 were briefly reviewed in the Chanute Tribune June 27, 1935.