Jump to Navigation

As Published - November 1937

November 1937 (vol. 6, no. 4), pages 404 to 417.
Transcribed by lhn; digitized with permission of
the Kansas Historical Society.

Histories of northeast Kansas Catholic institutions are sketched from time to time in The Catholic Register, a weekly newspaper of Kansas City, Mo.

The history of bands in Greensburg was reviewed in the Progressive Signal Magazine, of Greensburg, for March, 1936. "The first real organization came in 1897 . . . after . . . other sporadic attempts," it was stated. A. J. Olson was the leader.

Glenn Miller's recollections of his uncle, Sol. Miller, and "His Last Words" at his death before the turn of the century, were reprinted in The Kansas Chief, of Troy, December 17, 1936.

The story of the life of the late William Alexander Lewis, president of Fort Hays Kansas State College from 1914 to 1933, was featured in The Aerend, quarterly publication, in its Spring, 1937, number. The memorial occupied thirty-four pages.

Articles contributed by Dr. Edward Bumgardner to the Lawrence Daily Journal-World in recent months include a story of the planting of the Kansas University lilac hedge along the east side of the campus, in the issue of May 20, 1937 ; and Chester Arthur's visit to Kansas territory in 1857, in the August 10 number. The buildings used by Douglas county officials since territorial days were located and discussed in the October 7 issue.

J. T. Bristow's story of the old overland trail connecting Fort Kearney with Fort Leavenworth, published in the Wetmore Spectator and the Horton Headlight in December, 1936, was issued by the Headlight in pamphlet form in June, 1937.

An interesting and profusely illustrated pamphlet entitled The Thrilling Story of Famous Boot Hill and Modern Dodge City, edited and published by Henry L. Carey, has been issued recently. Included in its 28 pages are pictures illustrating the following chapters, listed in the "Table of Contents": "The Founding of Dodge City"; "The Buffalo Hunting-Indian Era"; "Coming of the Texas Cowboy and the Long Horn Cattle Herds"; "Famous Marshals, Sheriffs and `Dead Shots' of Old Dodge"; "The Old Santa Fe Trail"; "High Lights and Scenes of Wild and Woolly Dodge City"; "Historic Fort



Dodge (Kansas Soldiers' Home)"; "Famous Boot Hill," and "Modern Dodge City."

Greensburg's Christian Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding June 13, 1937. Its history was reviewed in The Kiowa County Signal, of Greensburg, June 10.

The history of Shawnee Sunday School of Johnson county was recorded by Mrs. R. E. Baker in The Suburban News, Merriam, June 24, 1937. The school was founded in June, 1863.

Early Garden City ordinances, as published in 1887 in the city's first ordinance book, were discussed by the Garden City News, June 24, 1937.

Accounts of the early-day experiences of Swedish settlers living near Enterprise are being included by Mrs. Carl Peterson in her Pleasant Hill notes, printed regularly in current numbers of the Enterprise Journal.

Hamer Norris has been contributing a series of articles to the Garden City News under the heading "The Story of Half a Century -Fifty Years Observation of the Events in the History of Finney County and Garden City, and Personal Observations of the Lives and Works of the Early Pioneers." The series of notes began in the issue of August 5, 1937.

A history of Angelus community, Sheridan county, was briefly sketched by Father Menig in the Grinnell Record-Leader, August 5, 1937. The community celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its beginning with an all-day picnic August 11.

"Colorado's Deal With Ralph Fleagle Recalled by Participant," was the title of a page article in The Southwest Tribune, of Liberal, August 5, 1937. In the story Justice W. A. Smith, now of the Kansas supreme court, discussed his part as the attorney-general of Kansas in the apprehension of the criminals and reviewed the legal and moral angles of Colorado's agreement with the bandit.

The fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of South Haven was observed in a special forty-page illustrated anniversary edition issued by the South Haven New Era, August 5, 1937. The edition reviewed the histories of the city's churches, clubs, lodges, and business houses. Among the featured articles were: "Incorporation of South Haven and First Election, July 26, 1887"; "Thos. Hunter Was Father of South Haven"; "Three Fires Failed to Kill Town's Un-


quenchable Spirit"; "Railroads, Coal Deposits, Sought for in Early Years"; "Mina Edwards, Local Constable, Figures in Horse-Thief Arrest"; "Glorious Fourth of '87 Celebrated by Locals at Black's Grove"; "Evidence of Indians Still to be Found Near South Haven"; "South Haven Men May Have Taken Part In Horse-Thief Lynching"; "First Rural Free Delivery Service Here July 15, 1902"; "H. F. Dodson Only Boy Among First High School Class in 1903"; "Dust Storms Are Not New, as Storm of 1904 Indicates"; "Completion of the `Border Road' a Joyful Occasion Here"; "South Haven Horse Show of 1892 Attracted Many Classes, Breeds"; "Brick for Peckham Building Was Burned at Kiln East of Town"; "Race for Oklahoma Lands in 1893 Was Exciting Event"; "Eyewitness Tells of Opening From Line East of South Haven"; "Portland Community, As Now, Was Live Center for Pioneers"; "David Payne Helped Speed Opening of Cherokee Outlet"; "Death Resulted From Cyclone of 1892, Much Property Damage"; "Harvest Home Picnic Was the Forerunner of South Haven Fair"; "Cemetery Association Has Been Active Here Since in the '90's," and "Santa Fe Railroad Built Through Here to Hunnewell in 1880."

William Allen White's tribute to the memory and achievements of Dr. Vernon Lyman Kellogg, who died in Hartford, Conn., August 8, 1937, first printed in the Emporia Gazette, was republished in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, August 24. Doctor Kellogg was a native son who went from Emporia and the University of Kansas to win renown as a scientist.

Forrest Davis' biography of Glenn Luther Martin, famous airplane designer and builder, was featured in The Saturday Evening Post, August 14 and 21, 1937. Mr. Martin came with his parents from Iowa to Liberal in 1888 at the age of two. At nine young Martin removed with the family to Salina and remained there for ten years when another move was made, this time to California. Mr. Martin has been interested in aircraft all his life. At six he sailed a novel biplaned kite into the western Kansas winds. At twenty-three he flew his own first, improvised airplane.

Included among Victor Murdock's recent articles of historical interest in his daily column in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle are two in which he raises the question whether Pat Hennessey and his two freighting partners met death at the hands of "Red Men" in July, 1874, as most reports have it, or at the hands of "Pale Faces." Seventy-five pounds of coffee found in a wagon from which some white


horse thieves escaped, Mr. Murdock thinks, may have had a story in it of famous prairie tragedy. These stories appeared in the issues of August 14 and September 28, 1937. Other articles and dates of publication are: "Firsthand Account of the Most Famous Duel Ever Fought in Wichita," between Michael Meagher, city marshal, and Ves, bus-driver, on New Year's, 1877, recalled by Charles H. Morehouse and recorded August 17; "Miseries of One Summer [1874] Tried the Souls of Men Who Had Settled Here," August 23; "Giants of Resolution Who Stuck by the Farm When Duststorms Blew," August 31; the El Dorado-Augusta county-seat fight of 1870, September 1; "When Curtain Went Down on the Drama of Cheap Land Forty-four Years Ago Today," September 16; "Rainey Gives Account of Jack Hardesty's War in Old No Man's Land," October 9; "Panic [from an Indian `Scare'] That Cost Family a First-class Kansas Farm Down in Summer in 1874," October 26; "Guns Were Within Reach but Cautiously Used in Early Wichita Days," November 9.

"A Wartime Memory of Fort Riley and Its `Ninety-day Wonders', " was the title of a two-column article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, August 21, 1937.

A brief story discussing the homecoming, life and art of John Steuart Curry, native of Dunavant, was recorded by Conwell Carlson in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, August 22, 1937. Mr. Curry has been engaged to paint the murals in the Kansas statehouse.

The first murals in the Kansas statehouse, painted by an artist selected by the Populists, were later destroyed by the Republicans, who replaced them with more "conventional pictures which still adorn the dome of the statehouse," writes Cecil Hooves in the Kansas City (Mo.) Tierces, August 24, 1937. Another article by Mr. Hooves discussed the menus used at a Fort Scott pioneer dinner in 1867 and a dinner served Grand Duke Alexis of Russia in Topeka in 1872. The story, under the heading "The Kansas Pioneers Ate Long, Drank Deep at the Festive Board," was printed in the Times, September 3.

"The Northern Boundary of Oklahoma," a twenty-page article by J. Stanley Clark, was published in The Chronicles of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, for September, 1937. It reviews the general history of the boundary and supplements a story, "The Southern Kansas Boundary Survey," which appears in this issue of the Quarterly.


A brief biographical sketch of William de la Montagne Cary, artistadventurer, and his exciting life on Indian and pioneer trails was printed in the September 9, 1937, issue of the Kansas City (Mo.) Times. Eighteen of Cary's frontier pictures were exhibited in the Memorial building at Topeka during October by the Kansas Historical Society.

The history of Kiowa Lodge No. 293, A. F. and A. M., of Greensburg, organized in 1887, was printed in the Greensburg News, September 10, 1937.

"Across the Years-1866-1937-Up Mount Oread," is a feature story by Dr. Robert Taft, of Lawrence, which appeared in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, September 12, 1937. Doctor Taft, among other things, touched upon the controversy over the location of Kansas University, the selection of the site, and events of the first year.

"The Early Settlers of Kansas Were Good Builders of Colleges" is the title of an article briefly reviewing the history of Kansas colleges, in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, September 22, 1937. Abraham Lincoln contributed $100 toward the erection of Baker's old Science Hall.

Early days in Kiowa county were described by Mrs. Lina Anderson, of Wellsford, in the Greensburg News, Kiowa County Signal, and the Haviland Review in their issues of September 23, 1937. The article was prepared originally for the fiftieth anniversary celebration of the Wellsford Methodist Church, held September 19.

On October 6 and 7, 1937, Medicine Lodge celebrated the seventieth anniversary of the signing of the peace treaty between the United States and the Five Tribes of Plains Indians, which was held at the confluence of Elm creek and Medicine river in October, 1867. A pageant written and directed by F. L. Gilson of the Emporia Kansas State Teachers College was presented each afternoon in the natural amphitheater overlooking the site of the council grounds. The forty-eight page "Indian Peace Treaty Edition" of The Barber County Index issued September 23, was a new record for special editions in Medicine Lodge. About twenty-five feature articles discussed in detail various phases of the treaty meeting. Included were a copy of the treaty and eyewitness accounts of the formalities of the gathering. Medicine Lodge officially commemorates this event with a celebration every five years. The first was in 1927.


The Evangelical Lutheran Church, Missouri synod, near St. Francis, celebrated the golden anniversary of its founding September 26, 1937. The church's history was briefly reviewed in the September 23 issue of the St. Francis Herald. The Immanuel Evangelical Church, Missouri synod, near Haigler, Neb., also celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with special services held on October 3. Its history was outlined in the Herald of September 30.

At 96, White Cloud, last chief of the Iowas, still directs tribal affairs on the reservation northeast of Hiawatha. He remembers his experiences in fighting with the Kansas troops during the Civil War. A brief sketch of his life is recorded in an article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, September 24, 1937.

"First Woman Mayor-1887," an article by Lewis Spencer Salter, appeared in the Kansas Government Journal, Lawrence, in the October, 1937, issue. Mrs. Susanna Madora Salter was elected mayor of Argonia in 1887. She now resides at Norman, Okla.

Memorial services for the late Chief Justice William A. Johnston of the Kansas Supreme Court were held in the court room in the statehouse, October 4, 1937. St. Elmo Else, of Osborne, official court reporter, delivered the formal notification to the court of the passing of the justice. The eulogy, touching upon his life and official conduct, was delivered by Associate Justice W. W. Harvey. The addresses were printed in the Topeka State Journal, October 4. The life story of Edgar Watson Howe, who died October 3, was reviewed in an Associated Press dispatch in this same issue.

Citizens of Moundridge celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the city's incorporation with a community fair October 8 and 9, 1937. The Moundridge Journal issued a 34-page, illustrated "Golden Jubilee Edition" October 7, featuring reminiscences and biographical sketches of pioneers and histories of business houses, industries and clubs. Stories include:. "Early Doctors" and "The Founding of Moundridge," by Elinor Krehbiel; "Evangelical Church," by the Rev. F. W. Kaiser; "The First Court Trial," by Robert Showalter; "The Fire Department" and "History of Our Early City Government," by Tom Harmon; "Early Moundridge Studios," "First Water System for Fire Protection Only" and "Tornado of 1895," by Betty Dester; "First Mennonite Church of Christian," by the Rev. P. P. Wedel; "Moundridge School Is One of the Finest," by Margaret Krehbiel; "The Lutheran Church," by the Rev. B. Loesel; "Postal


Service," by Mrs. Anna Smith; "Oil Development Aids in Progress," by Leland E. Lindell; "Parent-Teachers Association" and "The Christian Church," by Mrs. Doe Smith; "Moundridge Lodge No. 346, A. F. & A. M.," by Clayton Lehman; "Only One Moundridge Bank Robbery," by Paul Goering; "Golden Wedding Anniversaries"; "Moundridge Telephone Co."; "When Main Street Burned"; "Moundridge 0. E. S."; "The Flood of 1904"; "The First Meridian School"; "Coming of Railroad Boon to Moundridge"; "West Zion Mennonite Church"; "Methodist Church." In the issue of October 14, "Hi-Y History," by Marlo Dirks; "History of the H. S. Pep Club" and "History of the Girl Reserves," by Ruth Brubacher; "Short History of Local Concerns," and "Journal Was One of Early Establishments," were the titles of historical stories printed.

The Silver Lake Baptist Church observed the sixtieth anniversary of its founding at special services October 10, 1937. The organization's history was briefly reviewed in the Topeka Daily Capital, October 9. Articles in the Capital, October 10, suitable for a Kansas history scrapbook, include: "Kansas Writers Capitalized," by May Williams Ward; "Historic Bell Hangs in Lawrence Junior High School Building," and the reminiscences of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Schmitt, pioneer Brown county residents.

"Brahmin Culture Made Kinsley the `Athens of the Arkansas Valley'; Greatest Number Artists Per Acre," Fred Henney reported in a three-column story in the Hutchinson News-Herald, October 10, 1937.

The centennial of the founding of the old Presbyterian mission east of Highland was observed by the Highland community with special programs on October 10 and 11, 1937. The occasion marked the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Rev. and Mrs. Samuel Irvin and the transfer of Indians from northwest Missouri to present northeast Kansas. The pageant, which was a part of the program sponsored by the Northeast Kansas Historical Society, was published in the October 21 issue of the Highland Vidette. Histories of the Highland Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. G. W. Nelson, of Herington, and Smithton lodge No. 1, A. F. and A. M., by Paul Guthrie, read at the centennial, were printed in the Vidette, October 14.

Irving history as reviewed in the Irving Blue Valley Gazette, July 8, 1876, was republished in the Irving Leader, October 14 and 21,


1937. The article was written "by one of the original preempters of Irving."

On October 16, 1937, The Catholic Advance of Wichita issued a 96-page supplement celebrating the golden jubilee of the Wichita diocese. The front cover contains a portrait of the Most Reverend Bishop Schwertner reproduced in colors from a life-size oil painting by Francis O. Raab, of Chicago. The growth of the Catholic church in the See City of Wichita, with special emphasis on the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, is reviewed in a five-page article entitled, "History of the Cathedral, Wichita." Short biographical sketches of P. M. Ponziglione, famous pioneer Jesuit at Osage (St. Paul) mission, and of Mother Bridget, "the guiding star of Osage (St. Paul) academy," by the Rev. William Schaefers, were printed. A sketch of the life of Bishop J. Henry Tihen, pictures of churches in the diocese and names of their resident pastors were other features. Titles of other articles included: "History Sketch of Sisters of St. Joseph, Wichita," by Sister M. Victoria; "Dodge City During the Heydey of Buffalo Hunting Industry"; "United States Army Chaplains"; "Early Day Scenes in Wichita, Kansas"; "St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, Kansas"; "Members of the Diocesan Curia and the Offices They Hold," with a description of the organization of a diocese; "Fifty Years With the Sisters of Mercy in Kansas"; "History of St. Anthony's Parish, Wichita, Kansas"; "Organization of the Blessed Sacrament Parish"; "St. Patrick's Parish, Wichita," and "The Catholic Advance Has Thirty-Six Years of Service to Its Credit." Other special supplements reviewing in detail the history of the diocese were issued as part of the October 17 numbers of the Wichita Sunday Beacon and Eagle.

In a historical article on Platte City, Mo., in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, October 17, 1937, the writer tells how the Missouri river ferrymen aided or hindered immigration into the territory as the sympathies of the immigrants agreed or conflicted with those of the owner of the ferry. With the help of a cow and a bear the Platte county ferrymen distinguished the Southern from the Eastern immigrant. The discovery of oil in Neosho Falls was the turning point in Neosho Falls history, Paul I. Wellman reported in an article in the same issue of the Star under the title "After Fifty Years Luck Changes for Neosho Falls."

The rise and fall of Cave Springs, Elk county boom town, was discussed by W. M. Richards, superintendent of the Emporia Public


Schools, in a two-column article in the Topeka State Journal, October 18, 1937.

Judge W. E. Hutchison's recollections of the part he played in the Kansas county-seat wars and other stirring events in his law career were discussed by Cecil Howes in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, October 19, 1937.

Topeka's Young Women's Christian Association celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding with special programs during the fall of 1937. The Topeka State Journal, on October 20, issued a special section reviewing the association's history and activities.

Early Plainville history as recalled by W. F. Hughes, of Stockton, at a pioneers' banquet given by the Business and Professional Women's Club of Plainville, October 12, 1937, was briefly sketched in the Plainville Times, October 21.

Pike's visit to Pawnee village in 1806 and the raising of the Stars and Stripes in place of the Spanish flag was recalled by Bliss Isely in The Barber County Index, of Medicine Lodge, October 21, 1937. Kiwiktaka, a Pawnee chief, removed Spain's flag, Mr. Isely stated.

"The Kansas Army That Rescued Two White Girls From Indians," is the title of a feature article by Paul I. Wellman in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, October 21, 1937. The incident was recalled by the recent death of John McBee, of Topeka, one of the soldiers who served the state when Kansans went to war to rescue Sarah White and Mrs. Anna Brewster Morgan from the hostile Cheyenne Indians in the winter of 1868-1869.

Divorce cases listed in the "appearance docket" for the circuit court of Shawnee county in the early 1860's were mentioned by Mark Garlinghouse in the Topeka Daily Capital, October 24, 1937. The cases were recorded in an old volume preserved by the Shawnee county district court.

Letters from Arkansas City's old settlers were featured in the "Arkalalah Edition" of the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, October 28, 1937.

The early history of Skiddy, Morris county, was reviewed by Mrs. R. A. Galbraith in the White City Register, October 28, 1937. The town's name was once changed to Camden, but there were several other towns bearing that name in the United States. To avoid confusion in the mails the name Skiddy was readopted.


A history of the Kiowa County Farm Bureau, organized in December, 1933, was sketched in The Kiowa County Signal, of Greensburg, and the Mullinville News, November 4, 1937. Mullinville's United Brethren Church history, written for the homecoming celebration, October 31, was also printed in this issue of the News. The church was organized in June, 1893, by the Rev. L. A. Parker.

Plymouth's school history was reviewed by Mrs. S. H. Bennett, of Peabody, in the Emporia Gazette, November 11, 1937. The town's first school was opened in 1862 in a private dwelling and was taught by Mary Hammis.

The history of the old Pottawatomie manual training school, two miles west of Topeka, was recounted by H. E. Coats in the Topeka Daily Capital, November 14, 1937. Dr. Johnston Lykins founded the school in 1848.

Excerpts from the diary of Dietrich Gaeddert, Mennonite immigrant to Kansas in 1874, were supplied by O. D. Unruh, a grandson, to Walter E. Ewert in a Hutchinson News-Herald feature article appearing November 14, 1937. The diary begins while the writer was in southern Russia in 1871 and ends in 1879 after the party of immigrants had settled near Hutchinson.

Lawrence's historical markers were mentioned in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, November 15, 1937.

Assumption parish of Topeka observed the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding with a special Thanksgiving program, November 25, 1937. Notes on the history of the parish, founded in 1862 with Father J. H. Defouri as the pastor, were published in Topeka newspapers contemporaneous with the anniversary observance.