Jump to Navigation

As Published - Summer 1976

Summer 1976 (Vol. 42, No. 2), pages 218 to 219
Transcribed by Tod Roberts; digitized with permission of
the Kansas Historical Society.

Mark A. Plummer is the author of "The Battle of Mine Creek in the Great Price Raid," published in the September, 1975, issue of the Military Review, Fort Leavenworth. Gen. Sterling Price's Confederate army, retreating south along the Kansas-Missouri border toward Fort Scott, was attacked and routed by Union forces on October 25, 1864, at Mine creek 22 miles north of Fort Scott.

Three Olatheans have served as governors of Kansas: John P. St. John, 1879-1883; George H. Hodges, 1913- 1915; and John Anderson, Jr., 1961-1965. In addition two became governors of other states: Herbert S. Hadley, Missouri, 1908-1912; and James H. Brady, Idaho, 1909-1911. Biographical sketches of these men appeared in the Daily News, Olathe, September 3, 1975. Bronze plates bearing profiles of the five were unveiled at the Olathe city hall, September 6.

Thirty-seven historically significant pages from earlier issues were reproduced in the September 12, 1975, issue of the El Dorado Times. The earliest page was from the Walnut Valley Times, April 8, 1870.

Among the historical features in a special edition of the Marion County Record, Marion, September 24, 1975, was "Memories of Marion -- 1854-1908," by Josephine Freeman. Mrs. Freeman's father, John W. Barnes, settled at Marion in 1873.

Included in the October, 1975, issue of Heritage, a monthly historical magazine distributed as a supplement to several Leavenworth and Wyandotte county newspapers, were the following articles: "Oldest House [Grinter] in [Wyandotte] County Has Interesting History," by Mike Wardrop; and "History of Fort [Leavenworth] Recalled," by Cathy Gripka. Articles in the November number were: "History of Oldest Church in Kansas [White Church Christian Church] Revealed," by Mark Eklund; and "Old Delaware Once Served as Leavenworth County Seat," by Cathy Gripka.

Isaac Smith Kalloch, one of the founders of Ottawa and Ottawa University, was the subject of an article by Don Lambert in the Ottawa Herald, October 4, 1975. The December 20 issue of the Herald included a story by Lambert on the Franklin county poor farm where the needy were cared for before social security. An article in the Herald, April 23, 1976, on Mayor John Sheldon's family indicates the mayor is following family tradition in holding public office in Ottawa where his grandfather was an early mayor and his father a commissioner.

Merle M. Miller, after attending the annual Maple Leaf Festival at Baldwin, reviewed the history of the Baldwin area in an article published in the Belleville Telescope, October 23, 1975. Historical mention is made of Baker University, including Old Castle Museum, the Santa Fe trail, Prairie City, Palmyra, Black Jack, and Baldwin.

An article by Roland Mueller on St. John's College, Winfield, and its founder, John Peter Baden, was published in the Winfield Daily Courier, October 29, 1975. Classes began in temporary quarters in September, 1893, the first college building being completed the following spring. Other recent articles in the Courier included: "Magnolia Ranch: Fascinating Landmark," by Debbie Goodwin, April 14; "The Winfield-Arkansas City Interurban," by Roland Mueller, April 28; and "Old Timers With Connections There Recall Cherished Memories of Hooser," by Caroline Meldrum Booth, June 3.

W. A. Peffer started the Coffeyville Journal, October 30, 1875. The Journal's 40-page centennial issue, October 30, 1975, included a reproduction of the first issue and a history of the newspaper.

Northwest of Linwood, Leavenworth county, stands a house built in 1883 by U. S. Sen. William A. Harris. A history of the house was printed in the Eudora Enterprise, November 19, 1975. In 1974 the house was entered on the National Register of Historic Places.

"Osage County History: Aborigines," by D. H. Shoup, is the feature article in the December, 1975, issue of the Osage County Historical Society's publication Hedge Post, Lyndon.

Some of the history of the Delaware Indians and their cemetery near Eudora was included in an article in the Eudora Enterprise, December 3, 1975. The Delaware arrived in Kansas in 1829, settling in the White Church area. The Delaware cemetery has been restored through the efforts of Mr. and Mrs. Louie Koerner, Lawrence, and is being preserved as a memorial to the tribe.

Claude I. Tucker's reminiscences of his boyhood in the home of Carry Nation and her husband in Medicine Lodge, were published in the Cheney Sentinel, December 24, 1975. Tucker was raised by the Nations after the death of his father. He found Mrs. Nation good, kind, and loving, almost to the point of fanaticism.