Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Sunnyside Elementary School

Picture of property 3003 E. Kellogg
Wichita (Sedgwick County)
Listed in National Register Jan 18, 2011

Architect: Lorentz Schmidt
Category: vacant/not in use; school
Thematic Nomination: Historic Public Schools of Kansas

In 1912, Wichita boasted 20 public school buildings, but by 1916, there were not enough buildings to accommodate the city’s growing population. Among the neighborhoods in need of an elementary school was the Sunnyside Addition, which stretches from Kellogg on the north to Gilbert on the south, and from Hillside on the east to Dixon on the west. The school district hired local architect Lorentz Schmidt and the firm Vandenburg and Pauley to construct the building. Construction was completed in early 1917, and additions were added in 1920 and 1923. The growing neighborhood was impacted by the expansion of Kellogg Avenue in 1955, and as traffic increased, it was no longer possible for pedestrians to safely cross Kellogg. In 1977, the highway was expanded to six lanes and safety dictated that a pedestrian walkway be constructed to allow students and others to cross Kellogg near Sunnyside School. Despite strong opposition from the neighborhood, Sunnyside School closed in 1996. It was nominated as part of the “Historic Public Schools of Kansas” multiple property listing for its association with local education and its architecture.



New Search