Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Grant School

Picture of property 520 W 12th Street
Goodland (Sherman County)
Listed in National Register Jul 7, 2015

Architect: Mann & Company
Category: school
Thematic Nomination: Historic Public Schools of Kansas

Grant School was built in 1926 to relieve overcrowding at other public schools in Goodland. It served the community as an elementary school from 1926 to 1969 and then as a junior high school until 2015. The opening of Grant School coincided with the addition of Kindergarten to the district's curriculum, resulting in the district's first purpose-built Kindergarten classroom. The school, which exhibits the Late Gothic Revival style, was designed by Hutchinson-based architects Mann and Company, a firm known for its designs of schools. The school reflects traditional elements of the Gothic Revival style with its variegated red brick exterior, stone detailing, multiple gable roofs and dormers, stone quoining, and central tower. The building reflects Progressive-era tenets of school design with a combined auditorium and gymnasium space and specialized classrooms. It is nominated as part of the "Historic Public Schools of Kansas" multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of education and architecture.



New Search