Jump to Navigation

As Published - May 1937

May 1937 (vol. 6, no. 2), pages 211 to 224.
Transcribed by lhn; digitized with permission of
the Kansas Historical Society.

Five articles read by Mrs. Frank A. Hardesty before meetings of the Shawnee Mission Indian Historical Society during 1935 and 1936 were printed in The Suburban News, of Merriam, as follows: "Wigwams," December 12, 1935; "Christmas at Shawnee Mission," December 26; "What Are We Doing to Preserve Kansas History for Our Posterity?" and a biographical sketch of the Rev. Thomas Johnson, January 30, 1936 ; "Old Pine Tree," March 5, and "The Kelly Glass Collection at Thomas Johnson Hall," May 28. Mrs. Hardesty is historian of the society.

Subjects of a historical nature discussed in the Salina Journal during the past year include: March 7, 1936, issue-Russian settlement in Russell county in 1876; April 7 and 11-reminiscences of early pioneer days in the Salemsborg community as told to Karolina Falk Miller by John Englund; April 9-W. A. Sharpe, "first white male child born in county"; April 29Colorado, Lincoln county ghost town; June 11-dust storm of 1862; August 22--J. E. Putnam recalls the blizzard of 1886; December 5-St. John's Lutheran Church history; December 14-brief history Salina Journal; January 6, 1937National Bank of America history; February 9-history of Social Hill schoolhouse, Osborne county; March 9W. E. Brown's recollections of Salina printing offices fifty years ago; March 13-Grand Central hotel and Salina theater histories.

Dean Carver and Zack Phelps, of Oakley, have spent considerable time in recent years relocating the relay stations and forts along the old Butterfield stage route in northwest Kansas. Mr. Carver wrote of the investigations and of the history of this region for the Oakley Graphic in articles appearing under the following headings: "Relocates Remount Stations on Historic Butterfield Trail," March 13, 1936; "Judge Ruppenthal Comments on Old Trail Discoveries," March 20; "Camp Pond Creek Station IdentifiedLater Named Fort Wallace," April 3; "Reason for Decatur Massacre-Later Battle of Beaver Creek," April 10, and "Logan County Ghost Towns Existing Before the Railroad," May 1. The issue of April 3 also featured another historical article entitled "J. R. Gardner Recalls Fellows Murder at Oakley in 1885." The history of Oakley's Methodist Church, chartered in 1886, was sketched in the May 8 number.



Names of former teachers were featured in the history of Monroe school reviewed in The Lincoln County News, of Lincoln, April 16, 1936. The history of the old town of Abram was also briefly sketched in this issue, and in the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican for the same date.

"Before the Days of Russell," a story of Fossil station and an Indian raid in 1869 as told by Frank Stafford to Judge J. C. Ruppenthal in 1902, was reprinted in the Russell Record, April 23, 1936. The article was first published in the Russell Reformer, August 22, 1902.

The Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, southeast of Inman, celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of its founding with special services held May 10 to 12, 1936. A brief history of the church by A. J. Dyck, pastor, was printed in the Inman Review, May 29.

Emmanuel Evangelical Church, of Abilene, observed its golden jubilee with special services held on July 5, 1936. Historical sketches of the church were published in the Abilene Daily Reflector and Daily Chronicle in issues contemporaneous with the anniversary observance.

The building of the first railroad, the Salina, Lincoln and Western Railway (now the Union Pacific), into Lincoln was discussed in a threecolumn article in The Lincoln County News, of Lincoln, July

Special events for old-time Lane county residents were scheduled at the Lane County Fair held in Dighton, August 12 to 14, 1936, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the county's organization. The Dighton Herald published forty letters from pioneers in its issues of August 6 to 13. A newspaper history of the county by J. E. Lucas was featured in the August 6 number, a biographical sketch of Richard Deighton, town founder, was printed September 3, and a letter from Chester Evans, November 12.

Russell county rural school teachers for the 1936-1937 school term were named in the Russell Record, August 13, 1936.

Several articles of historical interest have appeared in the Colby Free Press-Tribune in recent months. A history of the city's Presbyterian Church which celebrated its fiftieth anniversary on November 8, 1936, was briefly sketched in the November 4 issue. "Lore of the Great Plains," a series of articles by Jessie Kennedy Snell, was begun in the November 25 issue and continued in succeeding issues.


The history of the Farmers and Merchants State Bank which celerated its fiftieth anniversary, January 2, 1937, was reviewed extensively in the December numbers.

George F. Cook, now living in Alfalfa county, Oklahoma, was mentioned as being the first white child born in Russell, in an article appearing in the Russell Record, November 26, 1936. Mr. Cook states he was born there on March 17, 1869.

In December, 1936, the Dodge City Daily Globe completed its twenty-fifth year as a daily. J. C. Devious, its publisher, was honored with a dinner, January 7, 1937, by Dodge City business men. The January 11 issue of the Globe, the anniversary number, featured the following stories: "Dodge City Has Had a Globe 59 Years," "Three Trails Across the State," "News Thrills of Quarter Century Carried in Globe," "How Carols on Air Originated in Dodge City," "First Issue [of the Daily Globe] Four Pages," and "Steam First Farm Power." In the January 12 issue the city's theater history was reviewed.

The plight of Lawrence settlers inspired Lincoln's "Lost Speech" Dr. Edward Bumgardner reported in an article in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, January 18, 1937. The speech, of which there is no copy, was given at Bloomington, Ill., in 1856.

Poll-book sheets of Winfield's first city election, held in March, 1873, were quoted in an article, "Coming Spring Election and Old Aecords Recall First City Voting Here," printed in the Winfield Daily Courier, January 20, 1937. A brief history of Winfield's First Presbyterian Church was another feature of this issue.

A letter from W. E. Lyon recalling the late Martin Johnson's boyhood days was published in the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican, January 21, 1937. Mr. Johnson, former Kansan and explorer, died January 13 following injuries received in an airliner crash in California.

"The History of Scott County," is the title of a paper prepared by Oliver S. Lawson which is running serially in The News Chronicle, of Scott City, beginning with the issue of January 21, 1937.

"Wichita In Its Infancy as It Is Remembered by Mr. Fred J. Cossitt Today," was the subject of Victor Murdock's column in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, January 22, 1937. Mr. Cossitt arrived in Wichita in April, 1871.

Lorene Squire, of Harper, was the subject of a feature sketch appearing in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, January 24, 1937, under


the title "A Girl's Hobby Is Photographing Wild Fowl on the Kansas Prairies."

The first celebration of Kansas day was discussed in short articles in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, January 28, 1937, and the Topeka State Journal, January 29. L. G. A. Copley, patriotic educator of Paola, is said to have held the first Kansas day celebration in 1877.

Included in the historical articles which have appeared in The Kansas Optimist, of Jamestown, in recent months is "What Price Buffalo Valley?-A Chronicle of Northwestern Cloud County," by Gail French Peterson, which has been printed regularly since January 28, 1937. Gail Peterson also conducts a column in The Kansan, of Concordia, under the heading, "Along the Republican."

The reminiscences of Zachariah F. Dodge, Civil War veteran, as recorded by Miss Lillian Forrest in an interview on October 24, 1934, were published in the Beloit Daily Call, January 29, 1937. Mr. Dodge settled in Jewell county in 1870.

Episodes in the experiences of Cyrus K. Holliday, founder of the Santa Fe Railway Co., were recorded by J. F. Jarrell in an article under the title, "Dreaming a Railroad," in the February, 1937, issue of The Earth, of Topeka.

The story of the Coleman Lamp and Stove Company, of Wichita, an industry whose pay roll has expanded in the space of thirty-six years to include 750 persons, was told in Progress in Kansas, of Topeka, in its February, 1937, issue. W. C. Coleman, the founder, is president of the company.

Kiowa county history was briefly reviewed by Mrs. Wayne McCoy in an article in The Kiowa County Signal, of Greensburg, February 4, 1937.

A biographical sketch of the late J. C. Bedwell was printed in the Wellsville Globe, February 4, 1937. At the time of his death early this year the Globe reported him "the oldest continuous resident of Kansas."

St. John's history, as read by Mrs. Rosa Horstman Stewart before a recent meeting of the St. John Hesperian Club, was published in the St. John News, February 4, 1937.

The Horton Methodist Episcopal Church observed the fiftieth anniversary of its founding at services held February 7, 1937. Histories of the organization were briefly sketched in the Horton Headlight and The TriCounty News in their February 4 issues.


Wichita's early threshermen associations and the start of present Tractor Row were discussed by Fred Wieland and recorded by Victor Murdock in his Wichita (Evening) Eagle front-page article in the issue of February 10, 1937.

A brief history of the Norton Daily Telegram was featured in its issue of February 11, 1937, the thirtieth anniversary of its founding.

Indian attacks in present Lincoln county in the 1860's were recalled by Cecil Howes in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, February 13, 1937.

The history of journalism at Kansas University was extensively reviewed in the thirty-two page twenty-fifth anniversary edition of the University Daily Kansan issued February 14, 1937. The Kansan was not the first newspaper published by student groups on the Lawrence campus. It emerged, however, as the official student newspaper and began daily publication on January 16, 1912.

A history of woman's suffrage in Kansas was briefly sketched in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, February 15, 1937.

Early-day Towanda and a tornado visitation in 1892 were recalled by Joseph Mooney and published by Victor Murdock in his frontpage article in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, February 17, 1937.

The Kiowa County Signal, of Greensburg, celebrated its fifty-first birthday, February 18, 1937, by republishing names of the city's business men as printed in the first issue of the Signal of February 19, 1886. The charter issued to the Greensburg Street Railway Co., in 1887, was also featured in the edition.

John B. Edwards' recollections of "Wild Bill" Hickok and early-day Abilene appeared in the Topeka State Journal, February 20, 1937.

Two views of Summit street, Arkansas City, photographed in 1873, were printed in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, February 20, 1937. Other early pictures appeared occasionally in succeeding issues of the Traveler.

A review of the activities of the Public Works Administration in Kansas was featured in a "PWA Illustrated Section" issued by the Topeka Daily Capital, February 28, 1937.

Santa Fe trail history was briefly reviewed by J. F. Jarrell in the March, 1937, issue of The Earth, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway publication of Topeka.


Histories of Cullison and Iuka were outlined in the Pratt Daily Tribune's forty-page third annual "Progress Edition" issued March 1, 1937. The edition presented the highlights in the progress and development of Pratt during the past twelve months.

Overbrook's history was briefly sketched by Elizabeth Oveson in the Overbrook Citizen, March 4, 1937.

The "Ames House," Wamego's "first real hotel," was razed early this spring. The history of the house, built by Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Ames in 1870, and notes from its early registers were printed in the Wamego Reporter, March 4, 1937.

Approximately eighty volumes of Kiowa county newspapers, bound recently by National Youth Administration project workers under the supervision of the Kiowa County Historical Society, have become the property of the Kiowa county society. Brief histories of some of these papers were outlined in an article in the Mullinville News, March 11, 1937.

The history of St. Patrick's church, of Lincoln, by Rev. D. B. Mulvihill, was sketched in The Lincoln County News, of Lincoln, March 11, 1937. Whether the town's name is "Lincoln" or "Lincoln Center" was discussed in an article in the March 18 issue. Either is "technically correct," the writer reported.

A history of the Oskaloosa First Presbyterian Church as written by Mrs. Elizabeth B. Slade for the special services held on March 14, 1937, at the seventieth anniversary of the founding of the organization, was printed in the Oskaloosa Independent, March 18.

The Smith automobile factory, Topeka's pioneer motor car builder, was recalled by Harry E. Ross in a Topeka State Journal feature article published March 20, 1937.

Pocket canyon battle in which Kansas buffalo hunters broke the war spirit of the Comanche Indians in the Panhandle country on March 18, 1877, was reviewed by Paul I. Wellman in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, March 21, 1937.

The fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Caldwell News was observed by the Caldwell Daily Messenger, March 23, 1937, with the issuance of a 32-page illustrated historical supplement. Harold Hammond, publisher of the Messenger, purchased the News in 1928 and combined the two papers. Features of the edition included a letter from P. C. Simons, son of R. T. Simons the founder


of the News; the reminiscences of David Leahy, D. C. Dacy, and Joe Wiedeman, a cattle driver over the Chisholm trail; histories of the city and its newspapers, clubs, railroads, schools, churches, business houses; names of mayors and the years they served, and congratulatory letters from prominent citizens of Kansas and the nation. Titles of other articles were: "Harry Woods Tells Vividly of Early-Day Bull Fight," "Not All of Caldwell's Background Was `Tough'," and "First Telephone Here in '81, Grant Harris Says." Additional historical notes appeared in several succeeding issues of the Messenger.

The Bank of Pleasanton held open house on March 19, 1937, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of its founding. A history of the organization was sketched in the Pleasanton Observer-Enterprise, March 25.

St. Theresa's origin and the Leoti-Coronado feud were recalled by B. H. Scheve in the Herndon Nonpareil, March 25, 1937.

Redoubts in Kansas on the Ft. Dodge-Camp Supply military road were discussed by Mrs. India H. Simmons in her "Southwest History Corner" column appearing in the Dodge City Daily Globe, March 26 and 29, 1937.

"Military Protection of the Santa Fe Trail to 1843," was the title of an article by Henry Putney Beers in the April, 1937, issue of the New Mexico Historical Review, of Santa Fe.

Early days in La Crosse were recalled by W. M. "Billie" Goodwin, a settler of 1878, in the La Crosse Republican, April 1, 1937.

The history of Oak Lodge No. 287, A. F. & A. M., of Lebanon, chartered on March 26, 1887, was outlined in detail in the Lebanon Times, April 1, 1937.

Marquette history was briefly reviewed in the fiftieth anniversary edition of the Marquette Tribune issued April 1, 1937. The townsite was surveyed in March, 1874. The Tribune which was started in April, 1889, was preceded by the Marquette Monitor, first issued in March, 1887.

Kansas' first arbor day and the famous cottonwood tree on the south statehouse lawn were discussed by Dr. Edward Bumgardner, of Lawrence, in a letter published in the Holton Recorder, April 1, 1937. The Topeka State Journal reprinted the letter on April 6.


Wichita's early-day physicians as recalled by Dr. David W. Basham, and "Remains of Caddoan Indian Tribes Seen in This Area," by J. B. Thoburn, were feature articles of the Wichita Sunday Eagle, April 4, 1937.

A letter written by Floyd Allen in 1893 giving a detailed account of his "run" into the Cherokee outlet was sketched in the Protection Post, April 8, 1937.

Herington history was briefly reviewed in The Advertiser, of Herington, April 8, 1937, in observance of the fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of Herington as a city of the third class.

Abraham Lincoln's letter to Grace Bedell, in response to her request that he grow whiskers, was described in detail in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, April 8, 1937. The letter is now in the possession of H. D. Billings of Delphos. Additional notes on this exchange of letters appeared in the issues of April 29 and May 2.

The history of the Kansas Federation of Women's Clubs was briefly sketched in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, April 11, 1937.

Sixty years' residence in Barber county were reviewed by Mrs. A. B. Wilkins, of Medicine Lodge, in The Barber County Index, April 15, 1937.

Jim Crossfield's recollections of the county-seat fight in Pratt county were recorded by Victor Murdock in his front-page article in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, April 20, 1937.

The Zion Evangelical Church, located north and west of St. Francis, celebrated on April 18, 1937, the golden anniversary of its founding. A history of the church, which was started by the Rev. J. G. Schwab, was printed in the Saint Francis Herald, April 22.

Picket Rock, located ten miles southeast of Cherryvale, was described in the Cherryvale Republican, April 22, 1937.

The history of the Yates Center News was outlined in its issue of April 22, 1937. The News was founded on June 8, 1877.

Eudora's history was briefly reviewed in the Eudora Weekly News, April 22, 1937. The city was eighty years old April 17.

The Burden community school, District No. 18, celebrated the sixtieth anniversity of its organization at a meeting held April 23, 1937. The early history of the school, written by S. E. Notestine, was printed in The Tiller and Toiler, of Larned, April 22.


Newton's school history was briefly sketched in the Evening Kansan-Republican, April 23, 1937. Mary A. Boyd opened and taught the first school in the city on September 2, 1872.

Gun battles in early-day Newton were discussed by Paul I. Wellman in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, April 25, 1937.

The Battle of Beecher's Island was reviewed by Guy Murchie, Jr., in an illustrated article appearing in the Chicago (Ill.) Sunday Tribune, April 25, 1937.

Maplehill celebrated its fiftieth birthday, April 24, 1937. A brief history of the town, by Mrs. John Turnbull, was printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, April 25, and the Eskridge Independent, April 29.

Operation of the old Wyandot ferry at the mouth of the Kansas river in the 1840's and 1850's was discussed by A. R. Sorrells in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, April 26, 1937.

The Bonner Springs Chieftain, founded forty-one years ago, reviewed its history in the issue of April 29, 1937.

Some memories of Turon and vicinity by E. F. Koontz, of Wichita, were published in an article in the April 29, 1937, issue of the Turon Press. Mr. Koontz, who formerly edited the Press, arrived in Turon in the spring of 1889.

A four-column history of the Cedarvale Methodist Church, contributed by the Rev. E. K. Resler, was printed in the Cedarvale Messenger, April 29, 1937. Although the church had its beginnings in 1869, the Cedarvale circuit of the Wichita district was not fully organized until April 20, 1872.

The alumni of Cuba High School, 1915-1936, were listed in a special "High School Seniors" edition of the Cuba Tribune on April 29, 1937.

Completion of Bushton's first fifty years was celebrated by the Bushton News with the issuance of a 72-page liberally illustrated historical edition on April 29, 1937. Histories of the town's business houses, clubs and churches were printed. The establishment of the first post office was noted. Titles and authors of feature articles were: "First Ten Years of the News," by L. D. Harding; "Early Happenings," by Bert Peterson; "A Voice From the Past," by C. W. Swartz; "Pioneer Reminiscences," by Mrs. Frank Shonyo; "The


World War," by Fred Boldt; "Early Community History," by Henry Roelfs; "Memories of Younger Days," by J. F. Peterson; "Civil War Veterans," by Harry West; "Bushton Grade School," by L. E. Timmons; "Bushton High School"; "A History of Bushton," by B. C. Shonyo; "Life on the Prairie," by Mrs. Sophia Castholm; "Mrs. [Fred] Roehr's Impressions of Early Kansas," as told to Paul Volkland; "Prosper, Ellsworth County, Kansas," and "The Old Trail [Fort Harker to Fort Zarah]," by George R. Sturn; "Rees History," by Mrs. Anna Rees Clair; "Farming From 1872," by M. L. Shonyo, and "Memories of Pioneer Days," by Richard Blaylock.

Kansas' early history was reviewed in The Citizen-Patriot, of Atwood, in its issues of April 29, May 6 and 13, 1937.

A history of Latham written by the eighth grade class of the Latham school under the supervision of Ralph 0. Hammer, principal, is being published serially in the Latham Leader beginning April 29, 1937.

Naming of the Peters post office in Kingman county was discussed by A. M. Weinschenk in Victor Murdock's Wichita (Evening) Eagle column of April 30, 1937. Mr. Weinschenk's early home was on the stage route between Hutchinson and Medicine Lodge.

The history of the Union Church of Bancroft was briefly sketched by F. A. Cordon in the Wetmore Spectator, April 30, 1937.

A history of St. Anthony's Parish, first Catholic church in Wichita, was reviewed in The Catholic Advance, of Wichita, May 1, 1937. The church was dedicated in September, 1887.

The story of the capture of Addie German (now Mrs. Frank Andrews of Bern), and the massacre of the older members of the John German family in 1874, was retold by Mrs. Florence Miller Strauss in the Topeka Daily Capital, May 2, 1937.

The cornerstone for Westfall's new Presbyterian church was laid May 2, 1937. The church's history was briefly sketched in the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican, May 6.

A brief history of the Kansas Bankers Association, as published in Bank News, was reprinted in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, May 9, 1937. A meeting of sixty bankers in Topeka in February, 1887, was the start of the association.


The naming of Big and Little Islands, on the Neosho river south of St. Paul, was discussed by T. F. Morrison in the St. Paul Journal, May 13, 1937.

Some early Kansas banking history was reviewed by C. Q. Chandler in an address delivered before a meeting of the Kansas Bankers Association in Wichita, May 13, 1937. Excerpts from the speech were printed in the Wichita Eagle, May 15.

The Delahay and Hank families of northeast Kansas were relatives of Abraham Lincoln, George J. Remsburg reported in the Leavenworth Times, May 17, 1937.

Street transportation history in Topeka was mentioned in the Topeka State Journal, May 18, 1937. Horse cars were used in 1880 and seven years later electric cars were started.

A history of the Peoples bank of Pratt was reviewed in a supplement to the May 18, 1937, issue of the Pratt Daily Tribune. The bank was chartered on May 20, 1887.

The story of the attempted robbery of the Labette County State Bank at Altamont on July 13, 1933, was retold by Victor Murdock in an interview with Mrs. Colene McCarty, one of the bank's employees, published in his Wichita (Evening) Eagle front-page column on May 19, 1937.

Kinsley's Church of the Holy Nativity commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding at a special service held on May 16, 1937. The church was chartered in Lewis, May 14, 1887, and later moved to Kinsley. The history of the church was briefly sketched in the Kinsley Graphic, May 20. Another history compiled by Anne Thorne appeared in the May 20 issue of the Kinsley Mercury.

The story of the building of Lake Sheridan in Sheridan county was reviewed in The Gove County Advocate, Quinter, May 20, 1937. The lake was dedicated May 25.

Reminiscences of H. S. Lyman, who served in the militia detailed to run down an Indian war party in 1874, were printed in the Hutchinson Herald, May 21, 1937.

Menno community, which is about midway between Syracuse and Ulysses, was named for the Mennonite settlers who arrived in 1906, the Syracuse Journal reported in a history sketched in the May 21, 1937, issue.


Notes on the history of St. John's military school of Salina, founded fifty years ago, were published in The Skirmisher, official cadet newspaper, May 21, 1937.

The story of the discovery of the helium pocket at Dexter was retold in an article in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, May 23, 1937.

El Dorado's school history was extensively reviewed in a 34-page edition of the El Dorado Times on May 26, 1937, at the completion of the city's new high school and junior college building which was formally dedicated May 27. The first school opened in El Dorado on July 30, 1868, the first high school was organized in 1880, and the junior college was established on April 5, 1927, by an overwhelming vote of the patrons of the school district.

"State Executive Mansion Is Now In Fiftieth Year," was the title of an article by Paul Montgomery in the Topeka Daily Capital, May 30, 1937. The house was purchased by the state in 1901, and Gov. William E. Stanley was its first executive occupant.

Articles in the June, 1937, issue of the Pony Express Courier, Placerville, Calif., include: "Wikiup and Wakonda, Terse Tales of Tepee, Tomahawk and Tom-tom Time in the West," by George J. Remsburg, and "My Personal Contact With James Butler Hickok," by Fred E. Sutton.

St. Paul's Evangelical Church, seventeen miles northwest of Caldwell, celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its founding, June 6, 1937. Its history was sketched in the Caldwell Daily Messenger, June 3.

Tecumseh's early history was briefly outlined by Helen Adams Gillespie in the Topeka State Journal, June 4, 1937.